Several months after our wedding, we decided to go to Texas Tech for Law School. I had never really been to west Texas before, but didn't think it would be much different from south Texas. When we arrived, I was surprised that I could see for miles; nothing green grew by itself; and I saw a tumbleweed for the first time in my life. I thought tumbleweeds only existed in old western movies.
I have learned in the six years of our marriage that just because we are both Texans does NOT mean we are from the same culture.
When it comes to food, I think the main differance has to do with the fact that my Mom is from the deep south and Clint's Mom is from Utah.
Let me illustrate. Being the dutiful wife that I am, I made a southern breakfast for Clint one morning shortly after we were married. He looked at the grits I had piled on his fried egg and asked me "what is that?" Since that day, I have introduced him to all sorts of wonderful things: crawfish boils, cornbread dressing, gumbo, jambalaya, hushpuppies, butterbeans, buttermilk biscuits, corn pudding, boudin balls, bread pudding, red beans and rice, and, most importantly, Tony Chachere's--along with many other things. He's now knows the goodness of Pappadeaux and has had alligator and frog legs.
Our first Thanksgiving at my parents house he got another taste of FRIED turkey. Did you know some people bake their turkey? Like, in the oven. Who knew?
And they say men can't change.
Well, this year we hosted Thanksgiving at our house. Clint fried the turkey. I'm so proud of him!
Now, in all fairness, Clint has introduced me to some new foods as well.
Like... ummm.....
Jello.
And... um....
Scones.

3 comments:
Awesome post! It's funny how different parts of Texas are, that's for sure! :) I dreamt last night that we actually lived closer to each other and could actually spend time together....maybe one day!
That's great that you introduced Clint to all those foods, but I don't see how Mom being from the "deep south" as you say had anything to do with it. I saw only two or three things on that list that Mom ever cooked....
HA HA! I know how it feels! I am Colorado and my wife is Texas and we have introduced each other to new food! I hate grits and she doesnt like some of the stuff I introduced to her. I cook alot of Mexican Food and well to some that can be a shock. A big change for me was Black Eyed Peas on New Years, I had NEVER heard of this before until I came to Texas! Well we all learn new things oh and My wifes family cooks the turkey on the BBQ Grill comes out great!
Post a Comment