Friday, July 15, 2011

Vacation – Day Four and Five

I am so far behind in my blogging I really need to catch up and go through this fast! I know whatever I put on the blog will eventually end up printed in a book so you have to suffer through more of our vacation pictures first.




On Saturday morning we went to Ford’s Theatre. We didn’t have tickets to see the movie so we just looked around in the museum. On display, they have the Brooks Brothers coat Lincoln was wearing when he was shot. The sleeve has fallen off from people cutting blood-soaked material off for souvenirs. Strange. 116


117


Our friends the Dalley’s came and picked us up that morning and we went and saw Arlington Cemetery. It was surprisingly one of my favorite parts in Washington, DC. I’ll spare you the millions of pictures I took of headstones.


118


We took a tour bus around. Well worth the extra $$.


132


Above is a picture of the eternal flame on President John & Jacqueline Kennedy’s grave.


120

Beautiful.

125


143


Tomb of the Unknowns Changing of the Guard Ceremony.


151


The Shuttle Challenger Memorial.


137


We also went to (but have no pictues of) the house on the top of that hill ; The Arlington House. It belonged to Robert E. Lee and his family for over 30 years. George Washington Parke Custis built the house to be his home and a memorial to George Washington, his step-grandfather.


155


This is either a memorial for Field Marshall John Dill or Philip Kearny, I can’t remember. Sorry.


161


This is one of the pictures we took of The Pentagon. We didn’t go look closely at the Memorial because we were tired an hungry. We headed back to our friends’ house for the weekend.

No comments: