Saturday, January 12, 2008

Infidelity

I noticed awhile ago that Karen wasn't acting like her normal self around me. I didn't think much about it though. I rationalized that she might still be suffering from some sort of baby blues brought on by Charlotte's birth. But when one of my close friends said he had seen her with someone else, I started to put the puzzle pieces together.

It was only then that I understood why she had been coming home at night smelling, oddly enough, like gasoline, oil, and grease. Her obsession with listening to "Car Talk" on AM radio all of a sudden made much more sense (previously, I didn't think she even knew AM radio existed). The reason that she was no longer satisfied with having our cars serviced at the shop (because she wanted to learn how to change the oil and replace the brake pads herself) became crystal clear.

After wrestling with the reality of the fact that Karen had lost interest in me, my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to know who the new suitor was. I grabbed my camera one night and followed her on one of her late night trips "to the grocery store." In hind sight, I wasn't prepared for what I was about to learn.

There in the lobby of a local autobody repair shop I saw the man, no, the machine, that I would come to loathe for the rest of eternity - my wife had fallen for Optimus Prime!

No comments: