Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ike & Roseola

My Mom, Scott, Rachael, Chase, Brooke and baby Kaylee all evacuated Ike and came to our house over the weekend. It was fun to have most of the family here. My Dad was sent to Austin for work, I'm sure he was sad he couldn't be with all of us. It was a pretty full house, especially when the missionaries came over for dinner Saturday night. I told Clint that I didn't want to feed a family of 12 everyday. So, if anybody was wondering if we were planning on having 10 kids, now you know. They all left Sunday morning to beat the traffic. Their homes were safe. Chase and Brooke's home lost power for about a week. My Aunt and Uncle live near the Houston Temple and still do not have any electricity (over a week later!) and neither does the Temple. My family has been volunteering with Helping Hands again. They've been chainsawing trees, helping provide meals, and escorting the Church's media crew around.

Click here to see pictures of Ike's aftermath.

I felt bad that Kaylee was here while Charlotte was running a really high fever all weekend. She didn't have any other symptoms, but we had a hard time keeping her below 102 degrees. I even had to take a bath with her (she screamed if we put her in there alone) at 4:00 am on Sunday. After a blessing, Tylenol and Motrin swapping, and MANY baths her fever finally broke Monday morning. On Tuesday, however, she came down with a rash, which I thought was really weird. She has had allergic reactions before, but when I gave her some Benadryl it didn't go away. She also had a swollen eye, was congested, and had a runny nose (and diapers). My friend Google told me it was Roseola, also known as Sixth's Disease. Its symptoms are: a high fever for a few days, followed by a rash, which can be coupled with other symptoms in small children. Apparently, Roseola is most common with children around 12 months old. The tricky part is that it is contagious for a couple of days BEFORE you develop a fever! So far, Kaylee seems to be okay though!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister is moving to Dallas in one month -- she's going to bring a little California to spice up your state!

The Tate's said...

That is great you guys live so close now so your family could stay with you. It is also good to hear thier houses were ok. Man Roseola doesnt not sound fun at all. Hope she is doing better!!

The Awesome Rawsons said...

oh man, sadie had roseola too and it was aweful. I have some friends moving your way in early january. He's accepted a job at a law firm there. i'm not sure what part of dallas they're leasing in, but when i find out, i'll have to let you know and maybe you'll run into one another.