Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Vaccinations

Is anybody else sick hearing about how great the H1N1 vaccination is? Is anyone else scared to death of it? I found THIS great article, actually written by a doctor, explaining how it's something people should actually be avoiding.
I don't think I would vaccinate my kids at all if I could find a doctor that wouldn't do it. I was actually telling one doctor I wanted to do the vaccinations later than what is scheduled and he told me to go find another doctor (which I did).
Am I just paranoid? My husband thinks that I am. I have to pray before every doctors appointment for assuarance that shooting my kid up with mercury and aluminum is okay. It made me cry in the hospital both times after my kids were born and they make your tiny new baby get a shot.
What is your view?

8 comments:

Melanie said...

So here's my opinion on the H1N1...my kids aren't getting it. I read an article a while back, and the article made me decide to not get the H1N1. My kids get the flu shot every year, well Molly's doctor ran out this year right before her appt. So she's not going to be able to get it this year.
I feel that the H1N1 is kind of hyped up. I feel that if we take the necessary precautions w/ our kids that they won't need that vaccine.
I haven't done a ton of research on vaccines, and my kids get their regular scheduled vaccines. The H1N1...no thanks.

On the postive side? How are you guys? :-)

Scott and Rachael said...

We heard at work that a kid in Rigby died of the Swine flu, but they later found out that he actualy died from a mercury overdose ... possibly from the H1N1vaccination.

Karen S. said...

Did you know that is 1976, kids only had 10 vaccinations before they started school? Now, you are required to have at least 36!

Stephanie said...

I have very mixed feelings on the matter. My Mom is a principal at an elementary school and has seen the H1N1 been passed around like free candy. She tell me it's not that bad just like the regular flu and all the kids at her school have recovered just fine. On the other hand there was a 5 year old girl who died of the swine flu here just last week! She had no other illness, she was a perfectly healthy little girl and if she would have gotten the vaccine her death could have been prevented. On the other hand my brother caught the swine flu in the MTC last March and is doing just fine so I really don't know what to think. I would hate to think that here was a vaccine out there that could have prevented my child's death and I choose not to use it. But on the other hand what if this vaccine causes cancer or infertility for my child in the future? I really have mixed feelings and I'm not sure what to do.

Brooke said...

Since you asked ;)...I am a mom FIRST, but I also have a doctorate degree in pharmacy, so drugs (and vaccines) are kind of my thing and I personally have VERY strong opinions on the subject. I'm not going to get preachy, but I will say that just because a doctor wrote an article that you found on the internet or in a magazine, or even a scientific journal for that matter, doesn't make it what you should take and use as your own personal decision, if that makes sense...I am a strong proponent of not just taking someone's word for something, of doing your own research, and for that matter, I am a doctor too...and I know too many really incompetent ones (as well as a lot of great ones)...so I just want to stress it is really important to do a lot of research ESPECIALLY when it comes to protecting your children, and frankly mine also. This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people and I am definately not on the fence with this debate, and I would love to send you some articles and tell you what to do, but I have found if you have already made up your mind, then you will most likely discard the information that you don't agree with anyways. Bottom line is, try and get reliable information from reliable sources that brings light to both sides of a debate before making a decision, and believe me, I do agree this is a big decision. I think you have valid concerns (based on the information that you have) and I'm not going to try and scare you into vaccinating based on horrible stories that I have personally witnessed and been professionally involved with, my main point is to tell you (obviously in a round about very looooong winded way) that someone being a doctor doesn't make them the person who should be making decisions for you and your children. Ok, maybe that was preachy, sorry...hope I didn't offend...Have a good day ;)

Bonnie said...

I will get the H1N1 vaccination for Joe and myself. Bob will have to decide what he is going to do. My greatgrandmother lost her husband and both of her young children to a flu epidemic in Arkansas in the 1890's. Things like that make me feel more vulnerable.

As for general vaccinations, I think the reccommended vaccination schedule is very aggresive. I have always delayed the vaccinations by 6 months to a year. The kids still get vaccinated in time for school. I actually know of two babies who had negative reactions to vaccines. One died and one developed a severe siezure problem. To me, it seems like delaying the vaccines give the babies' own immune system a chance to develop to be able to handle the vaccines.

Why do we have to vaccinate so young? Especially if there isn't an eminent threat? I hate to see a kid get four or five vaccines in one session. What is the hurry?

Shane said...

H1N1 is no worse than the seasonal flue, period. 36,000 people die from the flue every single year...as a percentage of the US population, you have a higher of dieing in a car accident, yet we all choose to drive. Not worried about H1N1, but I'm glad diseases like polio aren't around any longer b/c of vaccinations...

lyn said...

hey karen - i'm not sure that we've met yet.... I'm in the silverlake ward - i've seen you! I "blog stalked" you from Annie L's blog. Anyway, we do delayed/selective vaccinations and my pedi is TOTALLY supportive and just asks me which shots I want at the visits. Elena H. started visiting him, too - not sure if she still is or not. He's up inside the loop - so a little bit of a drive, but we've been seeing him for almost 6 years now and absolutely love him as our Dr. I'd be happy to e-mail his name if you're interested :)

(oh, and obviously, we vaccinate, but not on the "schedule" and we didn't do flu or H1N1. check the kinder vaccination schedule - you'd be surprised that it is fairly limited. way fewer than the AAPA recommends)