Monday, April 28, 2008

Gardere Interview


It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks! In the past two weeks, we have moved out of our home, moved into our new home, interviewed with Gardere Wynne Sewell in Dallas, attended Rhett and Missy's wedding, had our house destroyed by a two year old with a permanent marker and a bleach spray bottle, and much much more. I'm worn out.

Since the title of this post is what it is, I thought I'd spend a little time telling you about my most recent job interview. On Friday, April 18, the day before we moved, I flew to Dallas with Judge Jones for an en banc hearing at the federal building downtown. That afternoon, I met with a few of the attorneys in the bankruptcy practice group at Gardere and had lunch on the 40th floor of Thanksgiving Tower - the building Gardere offices in. The view was spectacular. Near as I could tell, Dallas is just a hair bigger than Lubbock.

The food at lunch was good, but the company was better. Everyone seemed laid back and relaxed even though I know they are extremely busy right now. That really impressed me. There was never a lull in the conversation and there were a few laughs to boot. It was over lunch that I learned that several of the bankruptcy attorneys enjoy snow skiing. I certainly knew I was in good company at that point.

After lunch, I interviewed with several more people, each of whom were equally friendly and eager to learn more about me and answer any questions I may have had. I felt at home in every interview. In fact, in one interview, I walked into the partner's office and he said, in the presence of the partner who had introduced us, "I've just got one question for you and if you answer it correctly you're hired. " I told him to shoot. He then asked "Where is the best place to get Thai food in Lubbock, Texas?" When I told him that hands down the best place to get Thai food in Lubbock, Texas, is Thai Pepper, he said, "That's it; you're hired; that's all I needed to know." I knew he was kidding, but, jokingly, I stood up, shook his hand, told him it was nice meeting him, and feigned a step toward the door. Turns out, he is an ardent Thai food lover and has two children that are going to Texas Tech. They eat at Thai Pepper on a regular basis. I was glad I gave the right answer! Anyway, every interview was kind of like that. I had a good time.

Gardere represents corporations in bankruptcy, i.e., they are counsel for corporate debtors. I have always thought that, of all the things to do in a commercial bankruptcy practice, representing the corporations in bankruptcy would be the most enjoyable. To make a long story shorter, I came home from Dallas that day excited about the possibility of working at Gardere.

But the story gets better.

The following Wednesday, I spoke with the head of the bankruptcy section at Gardere, Dee Ruckman, and she said that everyone who met with me on Friday enjoyed getting to know me, that they thought I would be a good match, and that they were extending an offer for me to come work with them at the end of my judicial clerkship! You're excited? Yeah, I was excited too.

I received the written offer from Gardere this past Saturday. This is all very exciting for us.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a great match!

The Davis Family Three said...

Congrats! And AMEN to Thai Pepper! The Davis Family is a huge fan of Thai Pepper! It makes me hungry just thinking about it...