Saturday, March 1, 2008

Fulbright Interview


Well, I finally had the opportunity to interview with Fulbright & Jaworski in Dallas yesterday. For a number of reasons, the interview was four months in the making.

When I first got there I was overly concerned about the fact that no one there seemed to be expecting me. As it turned out, somewhere along the line there was some miscommunication, and, even though everyone in the bankruptcy section knew I would be coming in for an interview, no one knew I was going to be there at that particular time.

They were able to gather up several people from the section to meet with me despite the error. One of the partners that wanted to meet me was in Houston at the time, so I met with him by video conference.

I was impressed with how personable and friendly everyone was. I have interviewed with big firms before and it seems there's always at least one person there who thinks you should worship the ground they walk on. Not so with this firm. From the first person I interviewed with to the last, I never once felt awkward or uncomfortable there.

Judge Jones has a former law clerk that works at Fulbright. I had the opportunity to meet and get to know him, and I really enjoyed the time I spent with him while I was there. He took me to a sushi bar for lunch and we talked about working for Judge Jones and shared some funny stories from the bankruptcy court.

Time will tell whether the interview went well or not. I'm not a good judge of that.

We'll keep you updated on the job search. Only six more months until I'm unemployed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting how a firm expected an interview but didn't know when. It seems that you are doing very good with all that went on in the interview. Hope all is going well and good luck with everything.