Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Acquiescence to the Masses

I have joined the realm of the "bloggers," but I couldn't bring myself to do so without first expressing my great dissatisfaction with the word "blog" and the title "blogger." I want to know who died and made the person who came up with the word blog the authority on what we should call people who keep a web log? What a stupid word and what an unworthy title for such an honorable pastime.

I understand that the word blog is short for "web log." I don't take issue with the origin of the word. But I won't pass quietly into that still night without taking aim at the widespread acceptance of such an ugly word and its use in every part of speech in the English language and, most likely, some non-English languages as well.

An illustration is appropriate at this point. In which of the following contexts does the use of the word "blogged" sound more appropriate?

(1) This evening, as I sat on the wrap-around porch of our summer home that overlooks a tranquil cove on a quiet lake, I sipped an ice-cold raspberry lemonade and blogged about our recent trip to Paris;

OR

(2) After repeated and sundry attempts to soothe our tiny infant and quell her incessant crying, we decided to try changing her diaper; good thing too because she had blogged in her pants.

Not everyone will agree with me, but I think the second context is much more fitting. I rest my case.

That being said, I realize that I number only one and that while the power of one is much, the power of millions is more. For that reason alone, I will succomb to the label "blogger" and acquiesce to the masses as I begin to weave the beautiful tapestry that is, and will continue to be, my blog--The Snow Family Tribune.

~Clint

1 comment:

Rhett said...

I would be an ignoramus not to recognize the amazing ability this author has of capturing the imagination through his vivid illustrations of the word Blog. The depth he creates gets a person thinking about their choice of verbiage. I have since become rather self-conscious of the lingo I choose to use. Creation of a word should be checked before release into the wild. To the author, I say, BRAVO! Thanks for exonerating, through words, my similar feelings of repugnance for such an ugly word.